On December 29, 2015, the CERT canteen was activated for a working fire at 5314 NW 87th Way.
A resident reported heavy black smoke coming from the house across the canal. A few minutes later dispatch started receiving multiple calls from other residents in the neighborhood. They were eventually able to identify the correct address. Upon arrival, PD reported heavy smoke conditions from the garage. The first FD units on scene reported smoke and flames. A working fire was declared. Most of the fire was in the 3 car garage which was being used for storage. There was also a car and 4 motorcycles in the garage. All six residents, who were home at the time of the fire, got out safely.
Thank you to the seven CERT members who responded. The cause of the fire is believed to have been caused by an electrical short in the garage, possibly near a refrigerator.